An award-winning positive education approach to wellbeing, resilience and social-emotional learning
At Holy Spirit we also spend 1 hour a fortnight explicitly teaching social and emotional skills through our BounceBack! program. Research indicates that this dedicated time has a positive impact on school climate and promotes a range of academic, social, and emotional benefits for students including but not limited to;
- improved attitudes and behaviors: greater motivation to learn, deeper commitment to school, increased time devoted to schoolwork, and better classroom behavior;
- fewer negative behaviors: decreased disruptive class behavior, noncompliance, aggression and the need for disciplinary action better academic performance: achievement scores an average of 11 percentile points higher than students who did not receive SEL instruction;
- reduced emotional distress: fewer reports of student depression, anxiety, stress, and social withdrawal.
What is the Bounce Back! program?
Bounce Back! is a whole school social and emotional learning curriculum program. It offers practical strategies to help children and young people function well at school and in life.
Bounce Back! promotes positive mental health, wellbeing and resilience for students and teachers plus safe and supportive class and school learning environments.
The Key Features of Bounce Back!
- Bounceback! is a long-term, multi-year, multi-faceted whole-school program and not just an ‘add-on’.
- It is a universal program taught to all students, not just selected students. However, concepts and skills from the program can also be further consolidated in individual or small-
group sessions. The components and teaching strategies in the program are all evidence-based.
- The program is taught by classroom teachers and based predominantly on children’s literature (especially younger and older picture books) and follow-up language/literacy activities.
There is a strong focus on circle time, cooperative learning approaches & educational games to build positive relationships, positive emotions and teach social-emotional skills.
- The psychological content of Bounce Back! is predominantly drawn from two core models: Cognitive Psychology and Positive Psychology.
Parenting notes are provided on the Bounce Back topics so parents can be supporting the key messages in the home.